Investing sustainably means putting your money to work on issues ranging from adapting to and mitigating climate change, improving working conditions and diversity, to tackling inequality.
More and more, investors want to invest sustainably: they want to combine investing for a financial return with a positive contribution to the environment, society or both.
At BNP Paribas Asset Management (BNPP AM), our full suite of investment strategies integrate environmental, social and governance (ESG) considerations. Our product range thus reflects an understanding of your need for long-term sustainable investment performance and your ambitions for a better world.
WHY SUSTAINABLE INVESTING?
Quite simply, it is worth it. Financially, the results from investing with an appreciation of the environment, high social standards and responsible business conduct – the pillars of sustainable investing – can be attractive.
Investing sustainably mitigates risks, for example, by steering clear of companies that are exposed to pollution lawsuits, labour unrest, shareholder revolts or other events that can damage their reputation and their economic results. So, taking into account these risks, the long-term performance of a sustainable investment approach can be better than that of traditional investment approach.
Also, quite simply, it makes sense. In the long run, our planet is served better with low-carbon energy, environmental sustainability, and equality and inclusive growth. As an investor, you can help shape a better world by investing sustainably.
Sustainability is at the heart of our strategy and our investment decisions. We are focused on achieving long-term sustainable returns for clients.
- Long-standing commitment to sustainability: A 15-year plus history in sustainable investment, including ESG research and integration, stewardship and issuer engagement, and a range of thematic and impact funds.
- Global scope: We integrate ESG research and analysis across all strategies, asset classes and geographies.
- Thought leader and advocate: We are a member of several advisory committees at international bodies such as the Institutional Investor Group on Climate Change (IIGCC), the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) and Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). We were also a founding signatory to the UN-supported Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI) in 2006.
- Dedicated team of ESG professionals: Our Sustainability Centre, a multi-disciplinary team of ESG professionals with financial, economic and legal expertise, supports our investment teams. In addition to ESG research and integration, they play a crucial role in measuring, tracking and reporting our impact and progress on sustainability.
- Recognised ESG performance: We are ranked best-in-class (A+)* by the PRI for our approach to responsible investing and are recognised by the UK Financial Reporting Council for our approach to stewardship.
At BNPP AM, ESG criteria are central to the way we come up with investment ideas, construct portfolios, control risk and use our influence with companies and markets to improve sustainability.
Across all asset classes and geographies, our funds now reflect a sustainable investing approach.
OUR INSIGHTS AND RESEARCH
While BNPP AM has engaged in sustainable investing for almost two decades, research into this area is fairly new. We are committed to expanding the body of academic research that supports the case for sustainable investing.
The tough road ahead for oil
Is there a cost to sustainability?
|Our experts discuss our sustainably strategy and how issuer engagement can make a difference.||Our experts discuss our sustainably strategy and how issuer engagement can make a difference.||The economics of renewable energy are near-impossible for oil to compete with, our latest research suggests.|
*Rank awarded in 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018. Investments are subject to market fluctuations and the risks inherent in investments in securities. The value of investments and the income they generate may go down as well as up and it is possible that investors will not recover their initial outlay, the strategies described being at risk of capital loss. There is no guarantee that the performance objective will be achieved. Past performance or achievement is not indicative of current or future performance.
Assess and integrate NDC alignment with the Paris Agreement when investing in sovereign bonds.
For Wholesale Investors only.
This material is issued and has been prepared by a representative of BNP PARIBAS ASSET MANAGEMENT Australia Limited (BNPP AMAU) AFSL 223418 ABN 78 008 576 449, the investment manager of the BNP Paribas Environmental Equity Trust (ARSN 615 479 662) (Trust). Please note that not all points from the article may specifically apply to the Trust as BNPP AMAU has delegated investment management to an external party. The Responsible Entity of, and issuer of units in, the Trust is Equity Trustees Limited (ABN 46 004 031 298 AFSL 240975). Equity Trustees Limited is a subsidiary of EQT Holdings Limited (ABN 22 607 797 615), a publicly listed company on the Australian Securities Exchange (ASX: EQT). You should consider the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) in deciding whether to acquire or to continue to hold an investment in the Trust.
This material is produced for information purposes only and does not constitute:
an offer to buy nor a solicitation to sell, nor shall it form the basis of or be relied upon in connection with any contract or commitment whatsoever or
The value of investments can go up and down. Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future performance. Any opinions expressed in this document constitute the judgement of BNPP AMAU at the time specified and are subject to change without notice.
BNPP AMAU is an exempt provider under the Financial Advisers Act 2008 (New Zealand) and is permitted to provide financial adviser services to wholesale clients in New Zealand as an ‘overseas financial adviser‘ as it does not have a place of business, and does not provide any financial adviser services to retail clients, in New Zealand.